Sunday, December 02, 2012

Southern Rodmakers Gathering 2012

Posted by David Bolin

It's been a while since I've posted on the blog.  But I don't think visitors  come here for my ramblings.  I'm way behind on SRG 2012 pictures.  Time to catch up.  We had a great time this year.  The weather was touch and go as usual.  Very windy Thursday and Friday, but perfect Saturday.  This gathering was as good as any I've attended.  Presentations and fellowship were great as always.  But as several mentioned at the gathering, the rods were better than ever both in quality and quantity.  Both sides of the rod rack were full and a  few rods were between the racks.  I've never seen that many rods at a gathering. 

I didn't get to attended all the presentations, but one that stood out for me was Gary Young's finishing presentation.  Gary's a relatively new rodmaker, but his research and attention to detail is paying off quickly.  His wipe on finish process is simple and produced a great looking rod.  If you're just getting started and don't have a dip or drain tube yet, I highly recommend you try his method first.  Download Gary's finishing document here.  Download and read the document first and then e-mail me if you want to contact Gary and I'll send you his e-mail address.  I can't post it here because of the spambots.  Gary's process is the result of hours of research on the rodmakers list and experiments with several finish formulas.

The SRG committee presents several awards each year.  Like rodmaker of the year.  That just happened to be yours truly this year.  Thanks guys!  But the blog is probably better than my rods.  There is one award that isn't presented every year.  The lifetime achievement award.  This one is reserved for very special bamboo rodmakers.  Tony Spezio received the lifetime achievement award this year.  Tony invited me to his home after my first SRG ten years ago.  I remember it well.  The steep stairs down to his tiny long and narrow basement shop.  So narrow that two grown men can't walk by each other.  You both have to back out of the shop to turn around.  I got my first splitting lesson in that shop.  And lots of "you can do this" encouragement.  That visit helped me get over the fear of making my first rod.  Tony has done that for dozens of new rodmakers over the years.  Congratulations Tony...from all the wannabe rodmakers you've welcomed into your home and coached on the rodmakers list.  Here's a photo of Harry Boyd presenting the award to Tony.


Here's a few more pictures from the gathering.  Good times!


  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP