Saturday, March 29, 2008

Tip Research #2

Posted by David Bolin

The discussion on the rod makers list about tip bounce has been helpful. Follow-up research has led to more statistical stuff. I really need to go fishing and stop crunching numbers. So here's some more tip data from my database of tapers. Click on the image to enlarge the table. Out of 444 tapers, 58% have convex tips, 12% are straight and 30% are concave. Tip slope averages 20% of the tip top diameter.

The metric that may be the best clue that tip bounce will be a problem is the sum of stations 20, 25 and 30 greater than the sum of stations 5, 10 and 15. The average for all 444 tapers is about 46%. A taper with a low percentage may have a tip bounce problem. I've attached a list of suspects, but I have no experience with any of these tapers. I may be off in left field.

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP