Sunday, December 21, 2008

Welcome Harry!

Posted by David Bolin

I've invited one of my rod making mentors to contribute to the blog. He needs no introduction to those of us in the rod making community. But a few comments might be appropriate for folks that are new to the craft or just passing through the blog on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Harry Boyd gave me the inspiration to finally tool up to make bamboo rods. Matt West had tempted me with the idea for a couple years. So all it took was a little encouragement to take the plunge. Harry is a regular vendor at the annual Sowbug Roundup in Mountain Home Arkansas. I was making the rounds through all the booths at the roundup when I met Harry. I'd like to say it was a brilliant array of beautiful bamboo fly rods that got my attention. But it just didn't happen that way. The rods were there on the table, but it was the planing forms that got my attention.

Growing up in a family of construction workers, I've always had a soft spot for quality tools. Harry's planing forms were very cool. The push pull adjustment stations and the precision ground grooves were impressive. I remember asking Harry where he got the forms. I was surprised to learn that he made them himself. And he said I could do it too. Encouragement is one of Harry's God given talents. That's all I needed to hear. The guy in the booth next to Harry had a copy of Wayne Cattanach's book for sale. I bought the book and the rest is history.

Harry is an active participant on the rodmakers list serve. The last I heard, there were about 600 members on the list, but just a hand full actually post. Harry is one of a few experienced rod makers that make the list one of the best rod making resources on the internet. He has recently made the transition from part time to full time rod making, book writing and freelance ministry. Dr. Harry Boyd has spent most of his career in full time ministry.

I hope we will hear from Harry often. He's a talented rod maker, a FFF certified casting instructor and a great teacher. I'm certain everyone will enjoy his posts.

David

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP